v5000 Restorationn (Sunrise) vs Okna 500

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
AMZ3000

v5000 Restorationn (Sunrise) vs Okna 500

#1 Post by AMZ3000 »

Replacing 20 double hung and 2 casement windows. Would appreciate any feedback on the following quotes in Maryland:

Option 1: V5000 Restoration (Sunrise)
$22,600.
The installation company said the V5000 Restorations are the Sunrise Restoration windows rebranded by the Manufacturer that bought them (MI Windows). They also said MI has not made any changes to the windows. Does anyone have any more information on this? Should I be concerned since MI has a reputation for being cheap but Sunrise Restorations have a solid reputation? The install company for this quote is top notch

Option 2: Okna Insul-tec 500 Series - DX Heat Seal Spacer Glass System
$20,392
The install company here is a decent size but no where near as much info as the company in option 1.

Appreciate the feedback!

Ricknez

Re: v5000 Restorationn (Sunrise) vs Okna 500

#2 Post by Ricknez »

Nothing has changed on the Restoratiins window. The same workers are at the same facility that manufacture sunrise. They didnt alter the window. My partner was just at the plant.

AMZ3000

#3 Post by AMZ3000 »

Ricknez wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 3:59 pm Nothing has changed on the Restoratiins window. The same workers are at the same facility that manufacture sunrise. They didnt alter the window. My partner was just at the plant.
Appreciate the reply @Ricknez. Do you have thoughts on how those 2 windows compare? From what I’ve read the Sunrise Restoration is superior to the Okna 500 and equivalent to the others in the Okna line (600, 800)

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Where in MD?

We have installed both and, by large margin, my installers prefer the 500 series. It is definitely a more robust frame and sill design when you handle the two side by side. Definitely NOT superior to the 500. More of a performance equivalent with the nod going to the 500. There is not a window in the former Sunrise's line up that matches with the 800 or 600.

Lower air infiltration numbers as well.

Did we quote this for you?

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

Observations in order of importance:

1) If your Okna quote is from Windows on Washington, this is a slam dunk for you. Excellent company top to bottom.

2) If it is not from WoW, call them. They are on another level, I promise.

3) Be careful not to confuse an attempt to compare apples to apples products within brand hierarchy with actual quality and performance. There's not a direct correlation. For instance, as brand hierarchies go, the Okna 500 is probably more equivalent to the base Sunrise product than the others. With that said, and as WoW alluded to, it actually outperforms the highest Sunrise models thermally and structurally, and is indeed nicer to install.... A more "dummy-proof" installation increases your odds for a great finished product.

4) Regarding the effect of MI purchasing Sunrise, that remains to be seen. On one hand, I believe that Rickenz is correct for the most part. Same window, same plant, etc. OTOH, there have been some moves made in personnel and other areas, and plenty of speculation on what the future may hold. It's rare in my experience to see that type of "merger" without things changing significantly, even if not immediately. The story usually goes something like this: High end, "boutique" window manufacturer bought by larger, lower tier (quality and performance) company. While the buyer may be trying to get a slice of that higher end market, they will also implement many of the "lean" processes used on the builder grade stuff to improve the profit margins. Why pay $12.50 for this part when we can get one similar for $8. These options that sell low volume will be discontinued in the name of efficiency... etc, etc. All of these little things add up.

Is the V5000 a bad window? Heck no. As it stands today it's still one of the better windows on the market. That said, you have another option that is objectively superior, comes with a lower price tag, and doesn't have that level of uncertainty that exists with MI/Sunrise. Most importantly though, again, working with an excellent company to get this done is key, so going with WoW would be on the top of my list and carry the most weight.

AMZ3000

#6 Post by AMZ3000 »

Hi WoW. I did receive a quote from you however it is not either of the ones reflected here.

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

Okay.

Feel free to email me directly at enovotny@windowsonwashington.net to introduce yourself and I will review you quote as well as put it into a comparable format.

Thanks.

Eric

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#8 Post by masterext »

Consider yourself in good hands if you are already in contact with WOW. He also makes a strong point regarding the overall strength of the Okna frame.
MI buying Sunrise is akin to Motel 6 buying The Ritz.