Okna 800 question

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
jliudpt

Okna 800 question

#1 Post by jliudpt »

Hi

I am trying to replace a few windows in my home to create more energy efficiency. The rooms that need window replacement have a lot of cold air coming into the house from outside during the winter. My goal is to reduce that as much as possible through new windows + wall insulation. I was quoted:

$850 each for Okna 800 series
$880 each for Pella 250 series

Which would be more beneficial and last longer for energy efficiency/weather resistant (heavy rains/wind) ? Any input is greatly appreciated.

EDIT:
Definitely going with Okna 800 but..

One more question, I have the option of double or triple pane for the Okna 800 series, do you think it is worth the upgrade for energy efficiency ($200 more per window)? On paper the triple pane is definitely better but is there a big enough difference in actual performance?

Thank you!
Last edited by jliudpt on Sat Jul 01, 2023 3:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Windows on Washington

Re: Pella 250 vs Okna 800

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Kind of the easiest question I got this week.

The Okna is the superior product. By a good bit.

Delaware Mike

#3 Post by Delaware Mike »

1987 Yugo verses a new Corvette Z06. OKNA by the biggest margin ever.

jliudpt

#4 Post by jliudpt »

Thank you both for your replies! I will definitely go with the Okna 800.

One more question, I have the option of double or triple pane for the 800 series, do you think it is worth the upgrade for energy efficiency ($200 more per window)? On paper the triple pane is definitely better but is there a big enough difference in actual performance?

Delaware Mike

Re: Okna 800 question

#5 Post by Delaware Mike »

I'd check back with that dealer regarding the triple upcharge of $200 per window. Something doesn't sit well with me with that. I don't do that many windows with triple up here in NJ/DE, but I like it. Well, all except for lifting the windows at my age.

jliudpt

#6 Post by jliudpt »

Is charging $200 extra per window too much in your opinion?

Delaware Mike

#7 Post by Delaware Mike »

Yes, but their business model may have a smaller emphasis on the labor aspect cost of their final pricing verses resale of the product than that of my business.

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

Look at what the tax credit does as well. That Triple pane charge is mitigated by the qualification for incentives.

jliudpt

#9 Post by jliudpt »

Windows on Washington wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 8:38 am Look at what the tax credit does as well. That Triple pane charge is mitigated by the qualification for incentives.
Any additional info on this? I am in NYC if that matters. Triple pane qualifies for federal tax credit?

Also, one final question involving double vs triple pane, does gas type truly matter (argon vs krypton gas). I've heard that krypton gas can leak out easily and not as worth it to upgrade. Any thoughts/insight on that?

Thank you!

HomeSealed

#10 Post by HomeSealed »

Great advice above, easy choice for the Okna.

$200 does seem a little steep for triple pane argon, is it possible that included krypton (although it may actually be low for krypton). Another way of looking at it though is that $850 per unit is cheap for that window, so even adding the $200 to get to $1050 per unit with triple pane is still a heck of a deal.

As far as argon vs krypton, yes, in most windows krypton is better, however the cost of it these days really diminishes any ROI. Argon delivers great performance at a reasonable cost and is far more popular for that reason. Some manufacturers have even suspended the use of krypton just because of the cost and availability issues.

The gas retention is non-issue between the two.