need advice on quotes/windows okna v. sunrise v4500 v. provia endure

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
bobkjr

need advice on quotes/windows okna v. sunrise v4500 v. provia endure

#1 Post by bobkjr »

Hi:
-Replacing about 27 vinyl double hung. 5 miles from Virginia shoreline

-Down to 2 sets of quotes (decided against Window World std offering) from 2 separate installers

-1st installer: Okna 500s $19995 Okna 600s $20696

Question 1: Is it worth paying the extra for the Okna 600s? Are they mostly the same except for the reinforcement?

Are these quotes reasonable? Will they negotiate (perhaps if I threw in a patio door replacement - or am I being naive?) Not sure I have other Okna install options here as Okna turned me on to this installer.

-2d installer: (one hitch here the quotes below are slightly different because substituted two 3 lite sliders for two large picture windows looking out over back yard (existing is two sets of 3 double hung windows) - will probably skip the sliders after looking at them today. Makes harder to compare apples to apples - but still appears to be significantly lower.

Sunrise V4500 series $15,600

Provia Endure $16,700

Question 2: Should I be leaning toward the Okna, even though higher price, based on Internet scrolling suggesting they are better quality - had builder grade installed when built new and disappointed by failure, so looking for an upgrade?

Question 3: 2d installer says I should stay away from Okna because of seal failures - Any validity to that?

Question 4: Read Okna limited lifetime warranty - but it does not use the words "for as long as you own your home" with respect to insulated glass - as it does elsewhere with respect to frames/sashes/hardware - - will Okna cover an IGU seal failure?

Grateful for any thoughts and advice.

bobkjr

Re: need advice on quotes/windows okna v. sunrise v4500 v. provia endure

#2 Post by bobkjr »

PS - both the Oknas are the deluxe/DX

Ricknez

#3 Post by Ricknez »

I have never heard of okna having seal failure issues, sounds like bs to me. Okna does warrranty the IG units as long as you live in the home, thats a fact. If that were'nt true, we would surely know about it since they are kind of a competitor to our company.
All the top window brands we recommend have basically the same product warranties. Our brand is a no questions asked warranty when it comes to seal failures and okna's would be the same.
Even Champion, ( our arch enemy, LOL ) warrants their windows for seal failure.
I saw the 600 series and its similar to the window brand we use. The okna 600 has a structural interlock in the sill as well as reinforcement and I dont believe the 500 has any of those added feature's.

bobkjr

#4 Post by bobkjr »

Thanks

Delaware Mike

#5 Post by Delaware Mike »

The 600 has a tighter top interlock catch from the top sash to the head cavity frame and a sill tongue interlock. I've not had 500's have incidental top sash drift from bottom sash operation with that being said (double hung). You also get the more ornate stepped exterior glazing beads from the 800 series on the 600's (double glazed only).

Sunrise/MI dealers are trained by the factory reps to shoot holes in any window manufacturer that doesn't utilize Cardinal glass with their XL-Edge stainless steel spacer. I love Cardinal glass and that spacer system, but I'm not seeing sail failures with OKNA products and their inhouse glazing with Duralite. ProVia has a very low almost non existent seal failure rate with their inhouse Super Spacer glazing, but they have a lot of glass that comes to me dirty with scratches and defects between the glass that will require warranty reorder replacement.

bobkjr

#6 Post by bobkjr »

Thanks for the info.

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

Yes and Yes. I like the 600 for the small offset in price.

And the 2nd installer talking about seal failures is predictable, but BS. The 600 definitely the more stout product here and worth the 20% premium in my estimation.

bobkjr

#8 Post by bobkjr »

Many thanks.

HomeSealed

#9 Post by HomeSealed »

I have no idea why that Okna dealer sells both the 500 and 600, and that that price delta. Are they very similar? Yes. Is the 600 worth another $700 for 27 windows regardless? Big YES. The raw cost of the windows to the dealer is MORE than that difference, seems like an oddity unless he would just really prefer to sell the 600 and prices things accordingly.

The Okna 600 would be my choice here, and as far as negotiation, that may be a possibility. This industry for better or worse is one that consumers expect haggling and discounts, so it really depends on whether or not he has already maxed that out for your project. That said, at under $750 per unit thats probably one of the lower prices you'll find anywhere in the country on that window (by a few hundred ea), so I'm not sure how much wiggle room is there-- not likely much.

The Sunrise is good window, although I don't like "salesmanship" about the seal failures. Totally baseless as the other pros have stated. That price also makes no sense unless your town is somehow still living in 2015 with all of the labor rates and other costs associated. It's low enough to be a big red flag.

The provia window is not in the same category as the other two IMO.

No worries about seal failure warranty. That is covered with Okna just like the other options. Not a selling point for or against.

bobkjr

#10 Post by bobkjr »

Thanks to everyone for your help and comments!