Need Advice and Information

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
coffeeme

Need Advice and Information

#1 Post by coffeeme »

Love the forum and the information presented here. Now to my question. I am getting quotes on replacement vinyl windows for my house. Here is a list of the windows I need:

6' x 6'8" Patio Door Slider
59 x 34 Horiz Slider
72 x 47 Horiz Slider
96 x 60 Dbl. Horiz Slider
2 Times 23 x 35 Single Hung Obscured Glass
72 x 47 Horiz Slider
2 Times 60 x 41 Horiz Slider
72 x 41 Horiz Slider
59 x 47 Horiz Slider

All windows to include LowE glass, and grids, all windows are double paned. All of the companies quoted are telling me that in Reno, NV they do not use a gas fill because of the elevation, 5000 feet. I believe I have narrowed the search down to two windows, Brothers California Series (here is a link to a diagram of the window: http://www.brothershomeimp.com/california.htm), or the Certainteed Inlulate Slimline. I also received a quote from World of Windows on their ComfortWorld 4000 series (at just $5200) but the rep just seemed too sleazy to inspire any confidence. Here are the quotes from the two companies, both of whom use their own salaried installers and have impeccable BBB records for several years.

Brothers---$8203
Certainteed---$5335

When I spoke with the rep from the company that would be using the Certainteed about upgrading to the Bryn Mawr II he told me that they do not use that window because it is so much thinker that it causes their installation pricing to soar on top of the higher cost of the window and that it increases the need for more demolition around the frame and less of a retrofit. This may be a bunch of b.s, thats why I am hoping to get some input from the experts here.

My questions are, is the $3000 increase justified for the Brothers Windows, I need input regarding what they are telling me about moving from the Insulate Slimline to the Bryn Mawr II, we are somewhat limited in what is available in the Reno, NV area so I am not seeing a lot of the brands mentioned on the board and I am staying away from Lowes, Home Depot and Sears. I would love to get some advice and guaidance. Thanks to all who respond.