Thoughts on Superior Windows

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
alyssa5

Thoughts on Superior Windows

#1 Post by alyssa5 »

I'm in the SF Bay area and have been getting estimates to replace all the windows in my 1960s rancher. The first quote was for Milgard, then I had a guy out from Armstrong (apparently a very local outfit), then a guy from Custom Exteriors selling Anlin, and finally a contractor that has done other work on my house gave me a quote for International. I asked him to quote for Anlin, because I think that brand seems good (and I have read good things about Anlin on this message board).

My contractor's window supplier does not sell Anlin, so he suggested Milgard or Superior as good options to upgrade from International. I already know that I'm not very excited by Milgard, but haven't been able to find out much about Superior.

Any experiences with Superior to share with me?

Door&WindowPlus

#2 Post by Door&WindowPlus »

Superior Ultima is a good window like the Milgard Tuscany and Anlin. Both Superior and Milgard have metal Intercept spacer, Anlin Superspacer. Superior and Milgard both have self closing locks, Anlin cam lock. Anlin's and Superior's Single Hung tilts for cleaning where as the Milgard does not. Anlin and Superior has brass rollers on its sliders where Milgard does not. Milgard Tuscany and Anlin has vent stops, Superior Ultima does not. Milgard and Superior warranties lifetime including labor and glass breakage. Anlin is lifetime parts, 10 years labor, no glass breakage. Milgard and Superior have a 10 years transferable warranty. Anlin is 20 years but labor only first 5 years from installation. Superior sold on west coast mainly and has one main plant. Milgard nation wide and has multiple plants. Anlin is sold in California and has one plant. I sell both Milgard and Superior for around the same price. Anlin pricing depends on who you buy it from. Superior is AAMA rated LC Light Commercial. I believe Milgard and Anlin are only rated R Residential.

Door&WindowPlus

Re: Thoughts on Superior Windows

#3 Post by Door&WindowPlus »

Superior has a new screen for their windows and doors. Its called the SuperiorView Screen and has a finer mesh so you don't see the screen as much. Makes the window look much nicer. Comes with a extruded lift handle so no more ugly tabs. Milgard Tuscany has a similar screen.

arplayer2k

#4 Post by arplayer2k »

I just placed my order for 36 Superior Ultima windows and doors last Friday. The pricing was good. We need single tempered glass due to fire code, and Superior is throwing in both for the price of one because they have issues manufacturing just one pane tempered. I got a call today from the Orange County Superior representative stating that the glass breakage warranty waiver my dealer promised me would not be able to be honored because of an order from his division manager. As far as he explained it to me, my window company had nothing to do with it. I am a little dissatisfied with this coming out after we placed the order, and the representative seemed a little apathetic to the issue itself. For this reason, I might have to go with Milgard, although I thought Superior was a great company.

My experience so far.

Skydawggy

#5 Post by Skydawggy »

I wouldn't let the lack of a glass breakage warranty sway my decision. How many windows have you had to replace glass on in your whole life? I think we have had maybe 1 claim in the last 15,000 windows we have installed. I would ask how long they will warranty the window against "stress cracks" caused by shipping and handling mostly.

Windows(SouthernCA)

#6 Post by Windows(SouthernCA) »

Milgard won't warranty glass breakage that is attributable to acts of nature (fire, hurricane, etc), civil disorder, building settling, structural failure of walls or foundations or improper installation, storage or handling. I haven't seen alot of tempered glass actually crack.