Can you recommend a good black vinyl window??

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
spilleta

Can you recommend a good black vinyl window??

#1 Post by spilleta »

We live in an association, that requires all of our windows to conform to the bi laws. They state that we must have black double hung windows, with 8 over 8 grids.
We had a company come in and give us a quote for Bronze colored windows. We took the sample to the association, and they declined the color. They said it's to light compared to the current windows.
They were Slocumb windows, and they fit under the tax credit guidelines. They were the super low E glass, 24 coating, etc.....
We want something similar in the energy efficiency, but we need darker color. Can anyone recommend a similar window in the Montgomery County Pennsylvania area? We have 7 windows, and 2 sets of patio doors. It would be much appreciated!

windowdude

Re: Can you recommend a good black vinyl window??

#2 Post by windowdude »

I believe OKNA is one manufacturer that will custom match colors for you. You'll most likely have to go with a painted-on finish no matter who does it for you, and a 10 year warranty on the finish is going to be about as good as it gets. OKNA is a pretty good window, too.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#3 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Sunrise has an exterior foil laminate called antique brown that is so dark it looks black to most who see it. The laminate has a lifetime warranty. You may want to check that color out.

buddy110

#4 Post by buddy110 »

Thermal Industries has a very dark brown, cap stock whick looks black also.

windowmike

#5 Post by windowmike »

The window better be reinforced. The black color would absorb heat. Great place to learn. Keep us posted.

TheWindowNerd

#6 Post by TheWindowNerd »

The new paint on finish, ie OKNA, rejects the solar heat gain.

JScott

#7 Post by JScott »

One of the unique features of a fiberglass window is that you can paint it any color that is desired.

TheWindowNerd

#8 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Yep that is true.
But the ones I am using do not qualify for the ETC.

TPD

#9 Post by TPD »

The exterior color some are referring to is commonly called "Bronze." It's very dark but will NOT look at all like the black ones in all the other units. The exterior Foil type application applies a solar reflective acrylic that works suprisingly well. But again this is a proven solor reflective product. And you noted black grids. I'm not aware on any manufacturer that supplies black mutins for any vinyl windows company again due to there not being black exterior vinyl windows. With the mutins typically being between the two panes, obviously painting's out.
When you get into true black exteriors on a vinyl window no less that isnt factory applied is a can of worms.
I'd go with a black exterior aluminum cladded windows. And of course they'll have black mutins too.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#10 Post by Window4U (IL) »

I just realized that one of the brands I carry, 'Softlite Elements' has black as a standard color in their "Exterior Color Coating Finishes". Their Imperial LS also has the same colors.

TheWindowNerd

#11 Post by TheWindowNerd »

And Okna will do black.

JScott

#12 Post by JScott »

Both Marvin fiberglass, Infinity and Integrity qualify for the ETC. I believe the Integrity has a standard black color.

Windows on Washington

#13 Post by Windows on Washington »

I would opt for a foil laminate if I had a choice. In PA, the sun should not be too much of a problem but south of the Mason Dixon line, I would not put black on a vinyl window.

Windows(SouthernCA)

#14 Post by Windows(SouthernCA) »

JScott wrote:Both Marvin fiberglass, Infinity and Integrity qualify for the ETC. I believe the Integrity has a standard black color.
Marvin Infinity does have black. Infinity has recently come out with a block frame 3 1/4 depth to be used as a insert in existing block frame windows. Black color would be on the outside and white on the inside.

JScott

#15 Post by JScott »

Intregrity has a black exterior. Not yet standard on the Infinity.