Anyone "in the know" on entry doors too ??

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
taperk600

Anyone "in the know" on entry doors too ??

#1 Post by taperk600 »

Well, decided on our windows (Simonton Prism Platinum with etc Super Solar glass, super spacer, & couple other extras) with the help from here.... much appreciation to all !!

Now it's on to the entry doors..... any helpful advise or ideas of where to look for it ??

Fiberglass wood grain is the way we are looking to go .... Therma Tru ? Green Tree ? Jeld Wen ?

Skydawggy

Re: Anyone "in the know" on entry doors too ??

#2 Post by Skydawggy »

Provia if you want the best.

TheWindowNerd

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I like Therma Tru. You can finish it your self and save money or get it prefinished paint or stain.
Soft-lite dealers are one source to get it prefinished. Some pro's have their own paint shops/services.
If the unit does not have a good porch cover then order a rot proof or composite jamb.

renew1

#4 Post by renew1 »

if you want a very good quality door you would go with either provia or HMI .

buddy110

#5 Post by buddy110 »

renew1 wrote:if you want a very good quality door you would go with either provia or HMI .
HMI hands down. Better reinforcment, better QC and a small businessman to boot!

Delaware Mike

#6 Post by Delaware Mike »

Buddy, I wasn't aware that HMI's door was that nice? What does it have over ProVia??????

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

They do some more custom stuff given that they are a smaller shop. My installers are split down the middle on who they prefer.

buddy110

#8 Post by buddy110 »

Delaware Mike wrote:Buddy, I wasn't aware that HMI's door was that nice? What does it have over ProVia??????

Stronger reinforcement in the door particularly around the locks and hinges.

renew1

#9 Post by renew1 »

another company i worked for uses/uses provia and hmi. Hmi has the "ultraFrame" which is a steel reinforcement that is the best security feature i have ever seen in a residential door.

taperk600

#10 Post by taperk600 »

thanks guys.......guess it's off to do a search for HMI & ProVia......AND it begins again

next will be the siding.....so any advise here ??????????????

DerbyDad03

#11 Post by DerbyDad03 »

anthony wrote:I like Therma Tru. You can finish it your self and save money or get it prefinished paint or stain.
I am looking at Therma Tru doors and this is what I was told by one dealer...

He said:

Staining the Therma Tru doors is not a DIY project. He said that because the fiberglass does not absorb the stain like wood does, the process and techniques are very different. He went as far as to say that they have 2 workers in their shop that stain the doors. Each worker has his own sample board of the shades available from the manufacturer and these boards do not match. The customer is shown both boards and based on the shade chosen, one or the other worker gets that job.

I should point out that this salesman is a friend of mine and knows my DIY abilities based on working together on a few community projects. (I mean that in a good way!) He knows I installed my own windows and he knows I'm planning on installing the door myself. I don't think he is trying to "sell me" on the staining because he said that if I want to save some money, I should buy the Smooth Star door and paint it myself as opposed to paying his store to stain it. He strongly recommends that I do not stain it on my own.

On the other hand, Therma Tru sells their kits on their website, so is it really that hard for the DIYer to do?

http://www.thermatru.com/products/entry ... index.aspx

I’m confused!

Bill

#12 Post by Bill »

For pre-finished units Provia is the way to go; their pre-hanging shop turns out a nice product and they have pre-finishing down to a science. The door is packaged extremely well to protect the finish.

All of the Therma-Tru we sell is unfinished and I have seen nice results with people staining the door themselves with the stain kit. The stain kit provides everything you need right down to a plastic glove with instructions included

buddy110

#13 Post by buddy110 »

TT doors don't match up to either Provia or HMI, IMO

DerbyDad03

#14 Post by DerbyDad03 »

buddy110 wrote:TT doors don't match up to either Provia or HMI, IMO
How do they match up pricewise?

I know you should expect to pay more for a better product, but (for example) are Provia or HMI twice as good at twice the cost or twice as good at only 50% higher cost?

buddy110

#15 Post by buddy110 »

I'm not sure on price.