Replacing casement windows with a transom window on top

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
window replacer

Replacing casement windows with a transom window on top

#1 Post by window replacer »

I need help with replacing my 20 year Carado casement windows. The windows seem to be efficient, but the exterior frames are rotting, so we have decided to replace them with vinyl windows. My question is should we keep the transom window in place and then just replace the 2-lite casement window beneath the transom? The transom seems fine and we would just cap the exterior with PVC.

Also there is a wood molding piece separating the transom from the 2-lite casement-does that get taken out? If not, how would it look if we mix the wood molding piece dividing the transom from the casement window with the vinyl divider between the 2-lite casement window?

So much to consider!!

JScott

Re: Replacing casement windows with a transom window on top

#2 Post by JScott »

Is it your window frame or your sash frame that is rotting?
What does the spacer bar have imprinted on it?

DerbyDad03

#3 Post by DerbyDad03 »

window replacer wrote: ...snip ...replace the 2-lite casement window beneath the transom...snip...
So much to consider!!
You are aware of how wide the center mullion is on a 2-lite casement don't you?

If not, you might want to look at one before you make your decision. As far as I know, it's about 6" wide which could look out of place depending on the overall width of the window.

I just replaced a rotted casement with a slider because of the width of the center mullion.

window replacer

#4 Post by window replacer »

it is the window frame that is rotting.. it's in really bad shape...