vinyl windows in the Texas heat

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
msstury

vinyl windows in the Texas heat

#1 Post by msstury »

Hi,

My husband and I are in window hell trying to to figure out what brand of window to go with. We need to replace 19 windows in our two story home ( most are 3' x 5'). First, our home has direct sun exposure from 7am - 4 pm in the front and 12 pm - 6 pm in the back. We live in Austin, TX. We are wondering what the best type of window to use on our home would be, either fiberglass or vinyl? We are concerned that a vinyl window won't be able to take the heat? Please help in any way you can by recommending type of window and then a decent brand that is double hung with the low e and argon gas? Thank you.

randy

Re: vinyl windows in the Texas heat

#2 Post by randy »

Vinyl will be fine for your sizes, as long as the vinyl is not a low-end line.

Look for Soft-lite, Sunrise, Gorell, Simonton. If you go with Simonton, get the optional sash reinforcement for an additional $10.00. The other brands are automatically reinforced. I would avoid any of the vinyl windows that are made in Texas. I say this to avoid naming names, and to say that there are no high grade vinyl windows made here.

Fiberglass windows are certainly durable and can withstand the heat, however, they are a bit more expensive. If you intend to stay in this house for more than 15 years, they might be worth it. Marvin's Infinity is the best of the fiberglass, but Inline is also available in Texas.

If you have more questions, just ask.

prosteelheader

#3 Post by prosteelheader »

personally, i wouldnt worry about the heat effecting your windows. be they vinyl or fiberglass. i'd be more concerned with the glass type you would be choosing.

Tattie

#4 Post by Tattie »

have you heard of Woodbridge Home Exteriors located in Texas? The say they custom make their vinyl windows or would they just be using a brand name custom fit to our sizes?
Thanks!