Which would you choose to have installed in your house

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
TommyJMac

Which would you choose to have installed in your house

#1 Post by TommyJMac »

Hypothetical question for the Pros. If you had the same quote which would you choose and why.

the below quotes are the same price ($4,000) and equivalent installers and install details on 11 DH windows for Grand Rapids Michigan.

1. Ply Gem Premium with Energy Package plus (HP2 glass, FG reinforced meeting rail, rcore insulation)
stats: U=.3; SHGC= .27; VT= .47; AI= .17; DP=50;
Warranty: Lifetime on Frame, Condensation in Glass;10 years on Hardware or Screen deterioration. 2 year labor included for repairs. 25 year transferable warranty.

2. Sunrise "standard" with Ultra U glass
stats: U=.29; SHGC= .28; VT= .54; AI= .03; DP=35
Warranty: Lifetime on Frames, Hardware, Glass with regards to obstruction of vision or dirt, Screen.
Warranty transferable to 2nd owner.

At the same price is there a clear winner/loser ? anything i am missing regarding the windows?

Skydawggy

Re: Which would you choose to have installed in your house

#2 Post by Skydawggy »

I'd go with Sunrise.

TheWindowNerd

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

+1 Sunrise

Integra

#4 Post by Integra »

Sunrise - no doubt.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#5 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Sunrise.

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

I guess I'll be the voice of dissent and say PlyGem... FYI, Plygem is running a special until the end of July: HP Max (triple pane with Argon) for the price of standard HP... Your installer may or may not be passing along those savings, but it would be worth asking.

TommyJMac

#7 Post by TommyJMac »

HomeSealed wrote:I guess I'll be the voice of dissent and say PlyGem... FYI, Plygem is running a special until the end of July: HP Max (triple pane with Argon) for the price of standard HP... Your installer may or may not be passing along those savings, but it would be worth asking.

Thanks for the heads-up on this i will contact him regarding it. The PlyGem quote is from an installer who was refered to me from a trusted source, so i don't think he will try any tricks. he did mention a $10 off the Pro level with free insulation in the frame or something so he is passing along deals he is getting.

TommyJMac

#8 Post by TommyJMac »

TommyJMac wrote:
HomeSealed wrote:I guess I'll be the voice of dissent and say PlyGem... FYI, Plygem is running a special until the end of July: HP Max (triple pane with Argon) for the price of standard HP... Your installer may or may not be passing along those savings, but it would be worth asking.

Thanks for the heads-up on this i will contact him regarding it. The PlyGem quote is from an installer who was refered to me from a trusted source, so i don't think he will try any tricks. he did mention a $10 off the Pro level with free insulation in the frame or something so he is passing along deals he is getting.

HERE IS THE RESPONSE FROM THE INSTALLER (Sound accurate?)

There are two specials going on the Premium window they are both calculated whereas any window 0-101 united inches (width plus height) would cost the same, normally the prices changes in steps as they get bigger. When they have specials 0-101 you sometimes pay more for smaller windows, they are playing the averages and usually base it on the larger size windows.

So the special for your size windows using the Premium series with the HP Max Triple Glazing
would cost $ 375.00 per double hung installed. This special does not include the Energy Package which would cost an additional $ 20.00 per window.

The second special is the Premium window with low-e & warm edge + spacer which translates to the Premium window with the minimum low-e glass require to qualify for the tax credit your cost with this would be $ 350.00 per double hung window.

Hope this helps,

HomeSealed

#9 Post by HomeSealed »

I guess he may or may not have access to the same specials that I do. It is really hard to comment on because I dont know where he builds in his mark-up, etc., but one thing I can say is that price is VERY good. My own recommendation is the HP Max with the EP package.

buddy110

#10 Post by buddy110 »

Sunrise is what the Plygem used to be. A great window with a great owner, the same family of owners as the original owners of Plygem, the Delmans. Mr. D changed the industry in this country. He took his love of innovation and drive to build the best to the Sunrise company. PG went corporate allowed the bean counters in and ... well you can figure out the rest.

Sunrise all the way

HomeSealed

#11 Post by HomeSealed »

First, I'll say that either choice will serve you well.... I'd strongly disagree with the above "beancounter" statement regarding PlyGem however. I'd ask specifically what has allegedly suffered? They still operate the same facilities with the same people, etc.(other than ownership).. There QC and CS is very good,and you could not possibly ask for a more secure company that will be around in 20 yrs to honor your warranty as they are one of the largest (and healthiest) manufacturers in North America. I'll concede that they may not be "the" leader in new or innovative products or features as they once were, however they are still certainly on par with their offerings.