New windows in NC

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Samson

New windows in NC

#1 Post by Samson »

I've read around here a bit and learned a little, or at least learned that I still have many questions. The situation is that we're looking to replace the OG 1993 wooden windows (minor rot here and there, double pane) with something better (quieter and better with temperature control, mainly). 28 windows in total, including two larger tempered picture window sliders. I've received three quotes/average per windwo so far: ~$1100 per for Vytex Potomac, ~$875 per for Window World 4000, and ~$850 for Simonton 5050. Prices all include labor and tax, and the first two include an aluminum wrap. Add $125 per to the 5050 for the wrap. From what I've read, the 5050 probably isn't ideal. What about the other two? In addition to the previously mentioned improvements, I'd like to keep decent glass area vs. the original frames as well. Are there other windows that are in the same ballpark (or less) that are better? Is it typically the case that a given installer can get any window, or are they generally locked into a certain brand(s)? This is in the Raleigh, NC area if anybody has recommendations for installers. Thanks.

Windows on Washington

Re: New windows in NC

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Where are you in NC?

The latter two choices are, in a word, shite.

Samson

#3 Post by Samson »

Heh, thanks. That's what I'd gathered. I'm in Cary (a suburb of Raleigh). I suppose my main hangup with the Vytex is the cost. From what I've read, they're decent but nothing special, and that seems like a lot of money for that kind of product. But like I said, I don't know a whole lot about windows. The installer for those also has their own full time install crew and the others use subcontractors. I assume the former is better, or at least tends to be in other industries.

Ricknez

#4 Post by Ricknez »

The vytex potomac is a very good window. You would be hard pressed to find someone who doesnt like it. Its the most money out of the three for a very good reason.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

When you put the Potomac in relative comparison to the other windows mentioned...it's a bargain by comparison. You kind of vetted that price by getting prices on the other two. And the other two don't belong in dog houses. Okay...a bit of hyperbole there, but they really aren't well regarded windows. Vytex is a solid window indeed.

Samson

#6 Post by Samson »

Thanks for the info. So it seems that you're both of the opinion that it's worth the cash for the Potomac. I imagine pricing is somewhat regional, but does it seem about right? Looks like $743 for most of the double hung (20-36x65") plus $385 for the install/pvc coated aluminum wrap for each.

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

The Vytex is the only option here that I'd consider, and that is a fair price in 2023. The level of product options and installation details would determine where on that scale it would fall, but definitely within the reasonable range these days. As WoW alluded to, this is a bargain compared to the price of the lower end options.

If you are looking for comparable options, you may have an Okna and/or Softlite Elements dealer in your area. I'd actually place both of those above the Vytex, however again, the Vytex is a good window.

Samson

#8 Post by Samson »

Thanks. That's where I'm leaning, plus the Vytex installers look to do good work.

Windows on Washington

#9 Post by Windows on Washington »

While it isn't a steadfast rule, the installer that uses good products is usually going to be better than the installer that uses mediocre products.

Samson

#10 Post by Samson »

Makes sense.

So the Potomac installer has offered the Fortis for roughly $45 less per window. Is this worth doing? He mentioned that they're basically functionally identical except for the latches and the Fortis has slightly thinner frames, allowing for more glass area. This comparison indicates a bit more than that, but again, not sure if any of the differences are "functionally" different (meaning they're noticeable in the real world, anyway).

https://vytexwindows.com/windows/window ... son-chart/

Windows on Washington

#11 Post by Windows on Washington »

That is a nice window as well.

Samson

#12 Post by Samson »

Thanks. This installer is quoting me one more, less expensive option: Provia Aspect. I don't have the final numbers, but it looks like ~$80 less per window vs. the Potomac. Is this worth the savings?

I'm not looking for the best window out there; just something that is a noticeable improvement over the windows we have now. Saving a couple grand would be nice, but not at the cost of something I'd notice.

Windows on Washington

#13 Post by Windows on Washington »

No. Not in my opinion. I think the Vytex is the better product.

Samson

#14 Post by Samson »

Decided to go with the Fortis. Thanks for all of the help. After it's all said and done, the installed difference for 27 windows is a little over $1000 more than the Aspect. Seems worth it.

Windows on Washington

#15 Post by Windows on Washington »

Definitely.