Choosing new windows

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
BlueSteel

Choosing new windows

#1 Post by BlueSteel »

I am totally new to window brands. I initially was just getting quotes from companies recommended by neighbors etc. I’ve done some research since then about the actual brands these companies have offered, but I feel like I’m probably missing some contextual info outside the specs (air infiltration, etc).
The two quotes we’re considering at this point are for Provia Endure (Comfortech DLA) and Okna (mostly 500 and some 700 casements). For the 18 windows, the Okna quote is coming out almost $6000 more. I expected Okna to be higher but that seems a steep differential.

So my question is - are Okna windows really that much better? Especially for mostly 500? The previous comparison decisions I have seen (where the clear winner was Okna) were much closer quotes, and also seemed to either Okna 800 or Provia Aspect quoted.
Both of the installation companies are well regarded.

Ricknez

Re: Choosing new windows

#2 Post by Ricknez »

The Okna is a better window hands down in my opinion. Provia makes a very good entry door, which is what they are really known for. We have been using Provia doors for years but not the window. Definitely a decent window but not up there with Okna. What state are you in?

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

Can't add much to that feedback to be frank.

BlueSteel

#4 Post by BlueSteel »

I guess it’s hard as someone not in the industry to understand what makes the Okna so much better in comparison when all the spec ratings are very close. In my case, a double hung Okna 500 is about 35% more than the Provia. What about the performance justifies that price tag? I’ve tried to do my own research but beyond the u-factor, air infiltration, etc specs, I don’t find any info that helps me understand where we make the jump from “decent” to “much better.”

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

Couple of things to consider:

1) The price difference doesn't automatically mean that the higher number is higher than it should be. Without knowing more details, that price could be below average for all we know. The lower one may just be alarmingly low. In this scenario, there is fair chance that is the case given the products. The Provia window line is one of the most widely available products around, meaning anyone can walk into a supply house and buy it without regard to how they run their business, pay their bills, quality, etc. A product sold directly from manufacturer to dealer/install company offers some added security as these companies (for the most part) are vetted by said manufacturer.

2) Between the two products, I agree with the other pros that the okna is simply better in all areas. Okna is a company that is led by engineers and has produced expertly designed, proprietary windows for 30 years. Provia is regarded as a good company and makes a very nice door, but their "window program" is only a few years old and it's essentially a "kit" that they purchase and assemble. They also seem to start new product programs and discontinue others more frequently than most, most recently they stopped offering storm windows.

At the end of the day, none of this guarantees success or failure either way, however in an industry that is perpetually among the most complained about (bbb, etc) in existence, stacking the odds in your favor as much as possible is wise.... and FWIW, very few of those complaints are about companies that charge(d) too much.

BlueSteel

#6 Post by BlueSteel »

Thank you very much for perspective and taking time to reply!