Replacement windows for sound reduction

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
engineerit

Replacement windows for sound reduction

#1 Post by engineerit »

Hello, I live on a main road and I’m looking to get the windows in my living room replaced in order to reduce the vehicle noise from the street. I can hear every car that passes by, even worse when they have a loud exhaust or a motorcycle. I’ve done some research and from what I can tell laminated glass windows offer the best sound reduction.

My current setup is approximately 8ft wide, 4ft tall, 2 double hung, and a large picture window (simonton double pane 10 years old). I’ve got two quotes from local contractors, one with double pane laminate glass from alside (STC 34), and another from Okna, double and triple pane options. Okna doesn’t specify any STC rating, so I’m wondering if there is any sound reduction, or if I should not go with this brand even though it seems like a better window than alside. Sound reduction is my main concern, but quality is also important. Is Okna not what I want to reduce sound or should I get a third quote from a different manufacturer to compare? I appreciate any advice you might have.

Windows on Washington

Re: Replacement windows for sound reduction

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Okna does have STC data on their laminated glass as well as their offset glazing option.

Ask your rep/company for the data and they should get it for you.

While I like the laminated, the offset glass does have a slightly better STC rating (1 point). It is a bit cheaper than laminated as a comparative as well.

Ricknez

Re: Replacement windows for sound reduction

#3 Post by Ricknez »

From what we are hearing, Okna does now offer a sound reduction glass. The Okna brand is of a better quality than any other brands you have seen.