exterior caulking a maintenance item?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Quadrofolio

exterior caulking a maintenance item?

#1 Post by Quadrofolio »

My windows and full frame were installed about a year ago. In that time, i have sprung two leaks that run out of the bottom of the window. Each time, the installer came out, and determined that additional caulking is needed.

I asked them if this is normal, and was informed thats a biannual maintenance item and thats the best they can do.

Im skeptical, but rightfully im just a consumer, and there the pros?

Windows on Washington

Re: exterior caulking a maintenance item?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

That's not a good sign, to put it mildly.

Can we see some pictures?

Quadrofolio

#3 Post by Quadrofolio »

I cant seem to upload the image, as its bigger then the 256 limit.
However until i can solve the img issue, I have found a similar picture on the webs.

Each time it rains, water leaks out from underneath the window sill/molding. The wall is not as terrible as the picture above, but still a pressing concern to avoid water intrusion damage.

They recaulked the exterior and it was good until a couple of days ago.

I keep the sills clean to prevent the drain holes from clogging, but was told those are not the issue. I also asked about how have they flashed the wall from water intrusion, and was told their special contractor level caulk is all thats needed.
Last edited by Quadrofolio on Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Any chance we can see some picture of the exterior? What kind of window came out before the new unit went in?

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

+1, exterior pics would be great.

That is a pretty significant amount of water infiltration to do all of that damage, you are at the point where that may all need to be ripped apart and repaired including the window. If that was recently installed, is it safe to say that there was some preexisting damage there?

As far as the basic question about caulk being a "maintenance item", yes and no:

- Yes, caulk is a maintenance item. Good stuff will last some years, but it will still fail at some point and the conditions (facing direction, exposure to sun and weather, your climate, etc) will all determine how long it will last.

- That said, ideally caulk is not the only thing preventing water infiltration. IDEALLY. Some installation styles however will have caulk as the only line of defense. Unfortunately, since this is deemed as an acceptable type of installation, its incumbent upon you as a consumer to learn the details of the installation being proposed, and ensure that it is as comprehensive as you'd like. Any window can be installed in a method where caulk is only aesthetic and/or CYA, however it is generally more labor intensive and therefore more costly.

Pocket installs (when done properly) will generally have protection from the original flashing. Things get a little hairy when the term "full frame" is used, as one type includes nail fins, flashing tape, possibly a sill pan, new head flashing, etc, while another type consists of sliding a new window into the RO and caulking it to the siding (caulk being pretty much the only line of defense).

Quadrofolio

#6 Post by Quadrofolio »

Thank you for the help thus far homesealed and Windows on Washington

The windows replaced were original metal casement windows flanking a picture window and house is brick construction. The replacement was double hung flanking a picture window.

They removed the steel windows down to the brick, reframed (nothing was reused), adding and i quote casings, stops, boxouts, stools/sills.

I have gone ahead and attached pictures of the exterior and interior. Note on the exterior picture i have circled the place that gets recaulked when their is a leak. I was told that was the issue.
Last edited by Quadrofolio on Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

We can definitely help point you in the right direction, but we are going to need some better pictures.

If you want to email me, feel free to do so: enovotny@windowsonwashington.net

Need more of the exterior where the capping meets the brick (sill and head) as well as the mullions between the windows.

And anything above the window on that brick wall too.

Quadrofolio

#8 Post by Quadrofolio »

will do!

Crystal

#9 Post by Crystal »

Exterior caulking is indeed a crucial maintenance item for any building. Its role in preventing air and water leaks cannot be overstated. By maintaining a tight seal around windows and doorframes, exterior caulk helps to keep the interior of the building protected from outside elements.

Its elastic nature is particularly important as it allows the caulk to accommodate the natural movements of materials due to changes in temperature, preventing cracks and gaps from forming. Regular inspection and maintenance of exterior caulking are essential to ensure its effectiveness in preserving the integrity of the building envelope and preventing costly damage from moisture infiltration.

Exterior caulking is indeed a maintenance item that warrants attention and proper upkeep to uphold the structural integrity and energy efficiency of a property.

Maeve785

#10 Post by Maeve785 »

Maintaining exterior caulking is essential for any building's upkeep. It plays a vital role in sealing off air and water leaks, safeguarding the interior from external elements. The flexibility of caulking is crucial, as it adjusts to material movements caused by temperature changes, preventing cracks and gaps. Regular inspection and upkeep are necessary to ensure caulking remains effective in preserving the building's integrity and preventing damage from moisture. Overall, exterior caulking requires attention and maintenance to uphold structural integrity and energy efficiency.instagram story download