Bye Bye Krypton Superwindows

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
FenEx

Bye Bye Krypton Superwindows

#1 Post by FenEx »

The DOE released articles back as far as 1994 calling new emerging triple pane, Krypton filled units "Superwindows" due to their U-factors of .22 and below. Due to the automotive industry as well as others, Krypton is in short supply and therefore has increased in price by approx. 380% over the last few months.

This will increase the "Distributors List" price of a Krypton filled window by over $100 to $1,000 per window opening depending on size. A 6' patio door will increase by about $1,200.00 in some cases. There is little doubt this will all but remove Krypton windows from most markets. Most government and utility programs could not justify the (ROI) return on investment based on energy savings before and this will put it completely out of range.

My thanks to Bill for bringing this to my attention. I have verified it through other sources as well.

windowsnj

Re: Bye Bye Krypton Superwindows

#2 Post by windowsnj »

i heard somewhere that they were going to re-figure what makes a window energy star certified next year...any truth to this? thanks

FenEx

#3 Post by FenEx »

Yes. The NFRC is gradually changing the allowable Energy-Star guidelines through 2012 (year by year).

Tru_blue

#4 Post by Tru_blue »

windowsnj wrote:i heard somewhere that they were going to re-figure what makes a window energy star certified next year...any truth to this? thanks
You can read about the proposed changes in EnergyStar's requirements right here:
http://www.windowanddoor.net/latestnews.php?id=3348