new vinyl window comparison

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
mrsfish

new vinyl window comparison

#1 Post by mrsfish »

looks like a lot of us are thinking of new windows. I live in Southern Arizona and can find very little reference to the best windows for this area. We have received estimates for Simonton Windows from Home Depot, Milgard Tuscany from a long time Tucson contractor, vinyl window replacements from Window Depot (this one actually was almost a joke) and the one i'm really interested in, but can find nothing about - Amerimax replacement windows. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Windows on Washington

Re: new vinyl window comparison

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Southern AZ will require a very low SHGC and a premium vinyl window that is very thermally stable and able to stand up to the AZ temperature extremes.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

Not sure why you are very interested in the Amerimax. I don't have first hand experience, but I have not heard good things. Out of the choices that you mentioned, go with a higher end Simonton.

mrsfish

#4 Post by mrsfish »

the amerimax has several nice features that nobody else has. brass bearings, 3/4" superspacer, the insulated window barrier, warranty is good and a wide choice of colors. Please, i'm trying to find out why i shouldn't go with them and instead get a HD Simonton window or the milgard. I think all 3 are good choices but for the money I'ld like to get the best, not settle for good but at the same time not throw my money away. Looks like most of the posters on this site know the eastern US window choices, but i'm having problems finding people with opinions on Western (as in hot) windows. Any opinion is appreciated as is any other suggestions on other windows to look at.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

I think that most posters here are from the east or midwest, however, what they/we do know about is quality windows, which is not necessarily region-specific. In a warm climate, you will need a window that has a lower SHGC, however that really only pertains to the glass pack. A super spacer to give you a "warmer edge" and resist condensation is irrelevant in a warmer climate. You want a high (numerically low) u-value, low (numerically high) shgc, high dp, and low ai ratings.