Vinyl replacement windows that won't turn yellow

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
gemini twin

Vinyl replacement windows that won't turn yellow

#1 Post by gemini twin »

Hi I live in southern Ca. I'm now listening to salesperson after another tell us how great their windows are. I can sort of understand the spiel now as to why their window is better than the others. I have 17 windows.
My BIG question to all you out there is..WHICH VINYL REPLACEMENT WINDOW WON'T TURN YELLOW OUTSIDE.
I go around and look at the list of customer windows that is provided to me, and they all look great! How will the outside vinyl look after 3 or more years with all the sun we have here? I want a window I won't have to have replaced by the company, years down the road. Any suggestions? Anyone in SoCal have great looking non-yellow windows after 5-6 years they would recommend. Know anything about Amerimax, Craftsman Series? What about fiberglass? HELP

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

Re: Vinyl replacement windows that won't turn yellow

#2 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Is the smog that bad that vinyl windows turn yellow out there? Yuk.

gemini twin

#3 Post by gemini twin »

You're funny!!! :lol: From what I've learned, some vinyl window companies, cheapen the recycled vinyl they use, thus causing the vinyl to yellow from the abundance of sunshine we SoCal-ers get here.

dutch

#4 Post by dutch »

gemini twin wrote:You're funny!!! :lol: From what I've learned, some vinyl window companies, cheapen the recycled vinyl they use, thus causing the vinyl to yellow from the abundance of sunshine we SoCal-ers get here.
Check out Milgard's website. They used to have a section where they describe how they set up "test homes" in Nevada desert and some hot place in California where they leave the windows baking for years in the sun to show how they can withstand the heat.

But I think any well known quality brand would be exactly the same. Supposedly, those issues with vinyl have been solved. I also think that recycled vinyl issue has been covered here before.

bam383

#5 Post by bam383 »

If you're looking for a vinyl frame that will hold up and stay yellow, then look for windows that use virgin, uPVC vinyl, or PVC frames heavy in Titanium Dioxide.

In Southern California, brands like Anlin, Polybau, and Amerimax will hold up nicely to the environment. I would suggest finding a dealer for those products in your area and see what the windows are like, and what the companies have to offer in terms of installation.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#6 Post by Window4U (IL) »

bam383 wrote:If you're looking for a vinyl frame that will hold up and stay yellow, then look for windows that use virgin, uPVC vinyl, or PVC frames heavy in Titanium Dioxide.
You mean you want your windows to stay yellow? Is it because it compliments the color of all that stucco in California? :wink:

Yeah, yeah, I know you mis-spelled. Just kidding.

bam383

#7 Post by bam383 »

Am i the only one who likes an ugly yellow window -- what's wrong with that?! :wink:

Door&WindowPlus

#8 Post by Door&WindowPlus »

Has anyone ever see a white vinyl window actually turn yellow?

Did the manufacturer change it out?