Weathershield Visions 2000 Leaking Problems - How do we Proc

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
datagatherer

Weathershield Visions 2000 Leaking Problems - How do we Proc

#1 Post by datagatherer »

We had 12 windows and a patio door installed in May of 2003. We just had 2 panes replaced last month due to thermal pane leaks. We've had several windows/patio door leaks from 1-4 times in the last 7 years on the South/West side of the house during heavy, driving rains. The, I believe, 4th time occurred on our patio door last night. We're not at all comfortable with this. We don't know if it's the windows, the install, or both but this is only 7 years. I feel like we're looking at future problems when we've got to replace junk with junk at 50% once the 10 year warranty is up. Help! We're open to suggestions. We have no idea how to proceed. We've got a call in to our installer now.
- Connie

HomeSealed

Re: Weathershield Visions 2000 Leaking Problems - How do we Proc

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

Please forgive me for saying this, but I can't resist the irony that your screen name is data gatherer, but there is very little to no data anywhere (other than thier own literature) that would suggest that the Weathershield visions is a good product... Sorry, I just had to say it :wink:... Now thats out of the way...There really isn't a whole lot that you can do right now other than gets parts replaced under warranty as they come. After the warranty period, you'll need to make a decision on whether to pay for replacement parts or just replace the windows. Weathershield's high end wood products are decent, but their vinyl is not , imho, and I'm sure that you can see why. I will clarify that there is no installation problem that would lead to these seal failures. It's just not a great product. I would probably base you decision whether or not to replace them largely on how long you plan on staying in the home, and on their rate of failure. Again, on the installer's side, there isn't much that he'll be able to offer you short of replacing them.

TheWindowNerd

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I would agree with HS.
15 - 20 years ago we backed away from Weathersheild due to seal failure rates.

JScott

#4 Post by JScott »

I have seen the same. Nothing like making someones day when you tell them they have crap and it should be replaced or you can replace the glass and do it again after the warranty expires. With WS up for sale they may not make it till the end of your warranty so I would not put off a decision for too much longer. Your not off 1818 are you?

SuperiorW&D

#5 Post by SuperiorW&D »

Wow, sorry to have to pile on to your bad news, but I have to agree with most of what's been said.

I too stopped carrying Weathershield. Not because of the quality of their product, but because of their lack of integrity when it came time to solve customer's problems....both vinyl and wood.

I'm not sure how cooperative you will find Weathershield.

Please let us know how your situation progresses.