Simonton vs. Alside vs. Gorell?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
gosling1

Simonton vs. Alside vs. Gorell?

#1 Post by gosling1 »

I've been reviewing posts on this board for the last week or so in an attempt to gather more info on my upcoming vinyl replacement window decision. It's been very helpful, as I've gotten most of my quotes in, I still have questions on how some brands/models stack up against another. I was going to try to use Consumers Reports to gain insight into the various manufacturers, but a search at the local library tonight shows the last review in 2000 - probably too long ago to factor in my decision.

I've narrowed it down to basically 3 brands/models - just looking for feedback from some of the experts here on the board:

Alside Sheffield (would be purchased as a Window World ComfortWorld 6000)

Simonton Prism Gold Series - installed by an independent

Gorell 5200 or 5300 Series - also installed by an independent

After reviewing a posting or 2 on this forum, I was initially also considering the Certainteed Bryn Mahr II; however , someone indicated
that Consumer Reports indicated a high failure rate with them and another person indicated that the Simonton was overall QC.

WindowWorld is/was trying to push the ComfortWorld 4000 (Alside Excaliber), but I've read too many negative posts on it and have removed it from consideration.

I won't go into prices/quotes, etc., but the models listed above are within my budget - I know there's better out there, but that's all I can do at this point. Thanks!

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#2 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Gorell 5300 is the best of the bunch in my opinion. Not far behind would be the Simonton Gold.

windowrep

#3 Post by windowrep »

I personnally dont see a big enough diffence in the 3 to make that big a difference in the window. with those 3 windows it will come down to the install. good luck

ANOTHER WINDOW GUY

#4 Post by ANOTHER WINDOW GUY »

Your post mentions Alside Sheffield on top and further down the Alside Excalibur. The Excalibur is a distant third of the three, but if it's a Sheffield with the block and tackle balancer I would take it b'4 the other two. The big problem then is which team of window installers would window world send out....the B team or the C team (they don't have an A team) too much risk.....I'll second window4u if all other things are equal.

FenEx

#5 Post by FenEx »

Actually, I would have to side with Windowrep on this one. If you go one of these routes... put your attention on the install.

Post modified.... trying to keep it positive. LOL W4U
Last edited by FenEx on Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Window4U (IL)

Re: Reply

#6 Post by Window4U (IL) »

FenEx wrote:
The Gorell 5300 might have gotten my vote out of the others mentioned as well, until the CEO and staff continued to support poor installation methods and a bogus Energy Saving Pledge.

So FenEx, in the whole fenestrating scheme of things, you are basically saying...........edit: Emoticon deleted by W4U.
Last edited by Window4U (IL) on Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:33 am, edited 3 times in total.

Window4U (IL)

#7 Post by Window4U (IL) »

I was just kidding FenEx.... I was bored since no one has posted all day so I was figuring out how to post animated Emoticons and was looking for a post to try them out on.
I actually think they are overdue to respond to you.
Last edited by Window4U (IL) on Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

wgorell

FenEx comment

#8 Post by wgorell »

I really dislike the Emoticons. Anyway, the Gorell 5300 series is the top of the line compared to all other replacement windows.

The comment on installation I don't understand. Gorell Enterprises runs regular classes on Installation Masters certified training, we have three certified instructors on staff and a great number of our dealers have taken the course and been certified. We cut our windows every 1/8" width and height, and recommend no more than a 1/4"deduct for the window size to the opening size, leaving at most a 1/8" space around the window unit, which is totally sealed by the foam wrap that comes standard on our products. With 1/8" clearance, there is no room for, nor need for further insulation, as long as all gaps in the wall cavity are sealed and the window is properly caulked. I don't know FenEx's credentials but I started installing replacement windows in 1964.

As far as our energy pledge, we stand behind it 100%.

FenEx

#9 Post by FenEx »

WGorell

Thanks for responding. As it has been asked before, can you please post the pledge in it's entirety. Many people including myself have not been able to find it. Thanks.

windowrep

#10 Post by windowrep »

fenex , hold your breath that energy pledge is coming right up. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..... ..... .. .... .. ... .. .... .........any time now >> ....................................................here it is , oh thats not it.>>>>>>..............................................
wgorell, thank you for posting your unbiased remarks that you have the best replacement window on the market. we did not know that. that clears all that debate up. after lunch we'll tackle health care and the national debt. fenex, you know your not getting your eyes on no energy pledge. i have been trying for two years and one of my buddies sell gorells.

FenEx

#11 Post by FenEx »

WGorell wrote: "I don't know FenEx's credentials but I started installing replacement windows in 1964." "As far as our energy pledge, we stand behind it 100%."

OK.. good. Let's assume I have no credentials and I am an average homeowner looking into windows. I'd like to see your energy savings pledge. Please provide it in it's entirety including all exclusions and conditions. Surely you of anyone at Gorell can provide this. We can discuss the "Best" window and "Best" installation procedures later. Please finally address this simple first request that you stand behind 100% but appear to avoid sharing here.

In the meantime, if anyone else here has a complete copy of the Gorell Energy Pledge, please post it.

Thank You.

ANOTHER WINDOW GUY

#12 Post by ANOTHER WINDOW GUY »

FenEx, I no longer have a copy of their fuel pledge but I did have one a while back, I got it from a siding disb who carried Gorell and went out of business. I do remember trying to discern what it really said and it amounted to about 26% along with enough limitations and calculations that would take either you or a Philadelphia attorney to figure out.
It started out higher but there were a number of factors to consider, including the windows and doors. I'll start digging maybe I can find it.
Wait a minute why won't the Gorell people post it.........if they won't that pretty much nixes them from favorable comments, especially negative for someone that claims to have a top shelf product.

FenEx

#13 Post by FenEx »

I did not anticipate a response from WGorell on this... let alone moving on to addressing the other issues presented. I have asked for this several times, and never get a response.

He's a smart businessman, and it's a wise decision not to present it, but it should send a message to consumers considering the products.

wgorell

#14 Post by wgorell »

I'm always surprised that people have the time to sit and chat as much as I see some are doing here. I apologize for not responding sooner but I don't sit and read this very often, only when I get a message that I need to reply to something. I do not plan to "post" our energy pledge on this site any more than any of our competitors would, some of whom are probably making some of these comments.

Our pledge is very straight forward, and if there is a homeowner who is interested in our windows, the pledge is available from most of our accredited dealers to be reviewed in as much detail as they like. Yes, we have requirements around our energy pledge that must be met to be fair to us as well as to the consumer, particularly because of the many factors that contribute to energy useage in a home. We worked with energy industry and government officials to create the pledge.

Yes, our products are that good -- and highly energy efficient (by the way, we just won our 3rd consecutive national ES POY award). The percentage of ES qualified products we make is well over 90%, which means thousands of Energy Star Accredited products every week. As we've said before, we know our products are this good because, yes, we are constantly recognized ---- but also because home owners tell us -- all the time.

Here is just one of the letters we received recently:
I was very pleased to hear back from you, it is a nice feeling to be an appreciated customer. I am especially encouraged too know that Mr. Gorell is so involved with his company and that he takes pride in his company's products and most importantly, a Gorell customer. Gorell may use my comments and share my endorsement of Gorell products with others.

I am a very selective and product aware, consumer. In this particular instance, I spent a considerable amount of money for my Gorell windows and double french doors. I conducted a thorough market analysis of vinyl replacement windows / doors and discovered the "uniqueness and value" of the Gorell product line. I even went so far as to compare the fundamentals of design and construction; the methods and materials utilized; the basic window and door structure; and the efficiencies of the product. Then I "isolated", what separated one product from another product. In all aspects of my study, the Gorell window and door was far superior to any other product on the market. My study was not complete until I got my gas and electric bills and saw the dramatic reduction in the units of energy consumption.

Please consider this recommendation. I consider the Gorell window system to be a handicap accessible product.

Gorell states " Our ingenious stainless steel constant force balance system gives you fingertip operation of the windows. Nothing on the market today can approach the smooth operation and durability of this system".

My wife has Multiple Sclerosis and is totally disabled. Prior to having Gorell windows, she was not able to open any windows in the house. However, the constant force balance system is an "enabler" for an individual with weak upper body strength to "open a window, just like a regular person does" ! The Gorell window has "returned" a lost aspect of her lifestyle. My wife can get a "breath of fresh air", without asking me to open the window for her. She can do it all by herself, again !

Best regards .. Joe
Joseph A. Sosville

Hope you all have a productive day.
Wayne Gorell

Window4U (IL)

#15 Post by Window4U (IL) »

wgorell wrote:I'm always surprised that people have the time to sit and chat as much as I see some are doing here.
I check the site once in a while between the daily 3-4 sales appointments, if I have time.
I have a wireless laptop and will pull over if I have an extra couple minutes after making phone calls, etc. I know a couple of others here that do the same.
It's not like we are all at home being lazy and not working.