Harvey Tribute vs. Gorell and/or Okna?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
cthomeowner

Harvey Tribute vs. Gorell and/or Okna?

#1 Post by cthomeowner »

Just got a quote for 14 double-hung Harvey Tribute Windows, plus one bay window and one slider for $8k (capping included). This seems like a good price, right? But should I still try to investigate Gorell and Okna? I see a lot of people on this forum seem to like Gorell and Okna. But I am in CT, so those are not readily available here. There are only a couple of dealers with those windows, so they might not have as much incentive to make a deal. There are tons of Harvey dealers here. How much better are Gorell/Okna than Harvey Tribute? Would they cost a lot more? Thanks!

HomeSealed

Re: Harvey Tribute vs. Gorell and/or Okna?

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

The Harvey window is not bad, but I'd put the Gorell and Okna options as better... When choosing a competent installation company, most choose high-quality products that are somewhat less common. They sacrifice a "cheaper" price for superior quality, service, and "exclusivity". It also makes more sense from a business perspective as you go up against fewer competitors with the same product. In general, a company who carries a very "common" product (one that many other companies in the area also carry) typically won't have the same level of expertise or quality. This is a total generalization of course, and there certainly will be exceptions, however it holds true more often than not.

cthomeowner

#3 Post by cthomeowner »

So how much more should I expect to pay for Gorell or Okna? Is the Okna Envirostar good?

ZAPAS

#4 Post by ZAPAS »

Definitely Harvey Tribute. Plus you got very good price too.
Double check credentials and experience of installer.

ZAPAS

#5 Post by ZAPAS »

I do not know what are prices in CT., but I think that you can expect higher cost of Okna and Gorell, even quality is same.
Tribute is definitely one of the best looking windows on market.

cthomeowner

#6 Post by cthomeowner »

Installer is Better Homes Window & Siding. They have an A+ BBB rating, with no complaints in the last 36 months. They have been in business since 1985. They said they will stand behind the product for the full warrantee period, which is 20 years on the glass and lifetime on the frame. So they seem good as far as I can tell...

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

Sorry Zapas, but the Okna 800 EnviroStar is a better unit than the Tribute.

Tribute is a fine window in its own right, but the EnviroStar is superior. Why do you think otherwise?

To cthomeowner,

If you are happy with the product, I would suggest you getting one additional quote to sanity check your numbers and narrow the search at that point.

The company you are dealing with seems good on paper. Go look at some sample work and get a feel for the delivered product in its final capacity.

Happy Shopping.

ZAPAS

#8 Post by ZAPAS »

NO COMMENT.

cthomeowner

#9 Post by cthomeowner »

I am going to look at the Okna and Gorell before making a final decision. I have gotten several prior quotes. The only other one I was considering was the Harvey Classic - same job for $7k. But since the Tribute is better, the $1k more seemed worthwhile. Please let me know if I am off base on this. I am a newbie! :)

lxshteyn

#10 Post by lxshteyn »

cthomeowner,
I have a similar dilemma. What did you end up doing and how happy are you with your choice?

thank you

ranger

#11 Post by ranger »

Did you ever see a corner cut of a Harvey window.? Very thin walls. Harvey tribute is average with average performance numbers and an average (at best) design. Very flimsy sill wall and unimpressive welds. Gorell or okra are better windows. The tribute triple pane with krypton only renders a .22 u- factor. Okna gets a .15 .
Last edited by ranger on Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

buddy110

#12 Post by buddy110 »

ranger wrote:Did you ever see a corner cut of a Harvey window.? Very thin walls. Harvey tribute is average with average performance numbers and an average (at best) design. Very flimsy sill wall and unimpressive welds. Gorell or okra are better windows. The tribute triple pane with krypton only renders a .22 u- factor. Okra get a .15 .
Okra? Isn't that an edible plant :lol:

buddy110

#13 Post by buddy110 »

ZAPAS wrote:NO COMMENT.

good call :wink:

Windows on Washington

#14 Post by Windows on Washington »

buddy110 wrote:
ranger wrote:Did you ever see a corner cut of a Harvey window.? Very thin walls. Harvey tribute is average with average performance numbers and an average (at best) design. Very flimsy sill wall and unimpressive welds. Gorell or okra are better windows. The tribute triple pane with krypton only renders a .22 u- factor. Okra get a .15 .
Only when fried.

buddy110

#15 Post by buddy110 »

Windows on Washington wrote:
buddy110 wrote:
Only when fried.
I.E. Ranger is a toasty critter :mrgreen: