Window replacement

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
windrok

Window replacement

#1 Post by windrok »

Hello, looking for professional opinion, I am in MA and looking to replace 18 windows. so far got quotes from the following companies installation included:

WIndowWorld: 11300 (window world window)
HomeDepot: 12250 (simonton windows)
Lowes: 12850 (united distinct)
NewPro: 30k+(okna)

I am thinking of having my own contract do install for $200 per window where as all these companies are charging over 400 per install.

I am stuck between Pella 250 insulated vs united distinct which seems to be pretty sturdy. any recommendations?

Ricknez

Re: Window replacement

#2 Post by Ricknez »

First off, how many windows are you replacing? Double hung, twin double hungs ( 2 windows )?
Any grids?
The 2 window brands you want your installer to use are kind of at the bottom of the food chain. Pella is just a name, not a contender. So far, the only high quality window quoted is Newpro who offer Okna. Window World is a budget window and so is United.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

Definitely need some more information as well as installation details. Agree with the above poster on the temperature read on the couple of things mentioned.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

That porridge seems to be either too hot or too cold windrok. You have three awful choices that offer mediocre products installed with cut-rate labor, and then one great product that sounds like it may be a bit high. Your last idea of contracting the labor on your own is by far the worst.
ALWAYS source the window and install from the same company or you will deal with nothing but finger pointing, headaches, and the blame game when service is needed down the road. You become the defacto general contractor, and if you don't have the leverage that real general contractors have (ie: the prospect of substantial future (and past) business) you are the loser in that scenario.

Based on what you have seen so far, honestly the high dollar choice is the only one that is worth consideration IMO. Even if the price IS high (which it may or may not be super higher depending on all of the details or your project), at least its a very reputable and successful company offering a great product. The odds of you being happy with the finished product are very good even if you pay a premium for it.

Ultimately I'd recommend another quote or two on highly regarded windows such as the Okna, Softlite, Sunrise, etc from well-established, reputable window companies in your area. That will give you some better perspective on the current choice in addition to possibly revealing a superior solution.