Suggestions for hot! country

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
M. Y. Home

Suggestions for hot! country

#1 Post by M. Y. Home »

I live in Gilbert Arizona where the temperature has gone down to 19 degrees F (no real problem) and has a high of 125 degrees F (a real problem). This season we had over 30 days that were 110 degrees or more and some 300 days of sunshine. I and looking to replace aluminum framed single pane windows that receive direct sun year round with windows that will greatly reduce the solar heat gain and will have the ability to stand up to the sun and heat for at least 20 years. Does anyone have suggestion (besides moving) or know of information resources that can aid me in making an informed decision?

buddy110

#2 Post by buddy110 »

Try this link
profile.php?sid=b40444f84d3b74d59b3feec02608d0b6s

JHeat mirro is the single greatist glazing available for hot climates.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

buddy110 wrote:Try this link

I wouldn't trust heat mirror just yet as there were numerous problems with that application previously.

Low-e 3 or triple glazing would do just fine in your application and you would never have to worry about it yellowing.

usmarine0352

#4 Post by usmarine0352 »

Some vinyl windows may become distorted, warped, or bow in heat that high.

You may want to look at a Fiberglass window or wood w/ aluminum cladding window, that has a good glass package.

buddy110

#5 Post by buddy110 »

Windows on Washington wrote:
buddy110 wrote:Try this link

I wouldn't trust heat mirror just yet as there were numerous problems with that application previously.

Low-e 3 or triple glazing would do just fine in your application and you would never have to worry about it yellowing.
Where have you heard that? No problems that i am aware of. The HM product is a great product. McDonlads uses it in thier facilities.

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

usmarine0352 wrote:Some vinyl windows may become distorted, warped, or bow in heat that high.

You may want to look at a Fiberglass window or wood w/ aluminum cladding window, that has a good glass package.
Typical heat of distortion temperature for vinyl windows is over 160 degrees. You should be fine.

Skydawggy

#7 Post by Skydawggy »

usmarine0352 wrote:Some vinyl windows may become distorted, warped, or bow in heat that high.

Typical heat of distortion temperature for vinyl windows is over 160 degrees. You should be fine.
You should see the 10 year old Certainteed windows we just removed. Bowed at the meeting rail so bad they wouldn't even lock. I don't think it's hit 160 degrees here before.

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

Skydawggy wrote:

You should see the 10 year old Certainteed windows we just removed. Bowed at the meeting rail so bad they wouldn't even lock. I don't think it's hit 160 degrees here before.

That is why I don't order a window without some sort of meeting rail reinforcement.