Outside vs. Inside Installation?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
cornersoyo

Outside vs. Inside Installation?

#1 Post by cornersoyo »

I'm told replacement vinyl windows can be installed from either the outside or the inside - if someone here can tell me which is preferred and why (or if there is a compelling reason to NOT have it done one of these ways) it would be a great help to get it from an unbiased source.... Thanks

Guy

#2 Post by Guy »

I base all our installs on the interior finish. If the existing window has stops that are built into the frame or has to be cut in order to install the new window, we do it from the outside. When you cut the inside stops out or have to remove the trim to get at the stops, it's time consuming and messy. It will make the finished product ugly and un-acceptable as far as I'm concerned. If this is the case we cut the outside stops out and do the outside-in application. All the cutting is done outside keeping the dust and debris outside instead of all over the room. It's a very logical choice.

The inside out application is used when we can remove the inside stops easily and re-apply them without changing the appearance. It's all really what the installer prefers to do. I'm just anal on the overall appearance of the finished product when completed.

buddy110

#3 Post by buddy110 »

Guy wrote:I base all our installs on the interior finish. If the existing window has stops that are built into the frame or has to be cut in order to install the new window, we do it from the outside. When you cut the inside stops out or have to remove the trim to get at the stops, it's time consuming and messy. It will make the finished product ugly and un-acceptable as far as I'm concerned. If this is the case we cut the outside stops out and do the outside-in application. All the cutting is done outside keeping the dust and debris outside instead of all over the room. It's a very logical choice.

The inside out application is used when we can remove the inside stops easily and re-apply them without changing the appearance. It's all really what the installer prefers to do. I'm just anal on the overall appearance of the finished product when completed.
+. Outside installs are a lot less intrusive and can save painting or touch up work afterwards. If properly done I think it's a more airtight install.
Remember the window is only as good as the install.

ANOTHER WINDOW GUY

#4 Post by ANOTHER WINDOW GUY »

Quite a few companies install most of their windows from the exterior. Guy's comments are really the bottom line. It's the best looking job and almost makes you wonder how they got them in as you see no interior disturbance. As Guy pointed out when the interior casing covers what in many cases is an easily remove interior stop it becomes an outside install.
Since FenEx convinced me to foam all installs we've gone to doing most of the installs from the outside as an added precaution (that sticky stuff can get everywhere) the net result is better looking jobs, warmer more energy efficient windows and this time of the year frozen installers......A quick note to Mr & Mrs Homeowners as to when to tip an installer. When the icicles hanging from his nose are four or more inches in length.

bplatosz

#5 Post by bplatosz »

I've heard that it is a little more difficult to do a good job at insulating if you are doing the install from the outside - is that true?

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#6 Post by Window4U (IL) »

bplatosz wrote:I've heard that it is a little more difficult to do a good job at insulating if you are doing the install from the outside - is that true?
No, not at all. I think it is better from the outside. If you are just putting a bead of foam around the inside, you are mainly it as an air stop.
If you fill from the outside and do a good job you are insulating the sides of the window where it will do some good as well as air sealing it.