Windows and Patio Doors with brown outside and white inside

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
swor21054

Windows and Patio Doors with brown outside and white inside

#1 Post by swor21054 »

I'm currently getting estimates for replacing my bronze-color aluminum frame windows and patio doors with vinyl/double-pane/low-e/argon. Because the house is cedar, I need the replacements to have bronze or brown frames on the outside. Because it is no longer 1972, I'd like the inside frames to be white rather than brown. I need 9 patio doors (2 9-foot and 6 6-foot) and 16 slider windows (ranging from 83 ui to 153 ui.)

I've gotten estimates for Slocum windows, Thermal Industries (900 series?), and Vytex Heritage. The estimates have ranged from about $20K to $29K. I've got another guy coming later this week. I think his company handles Gorell and Softlite.

I've been told that getting the brown exterior with white interior is limiting my choices and raising the cost. Another factor in the cost is the large number of sliding glass doors I need.

Does anyone have opinions on which windows might be my better choices? Any experiences with how dark vinyl performs would also be welcome. We're probably going to be in the house for another 10 years.

Thanks for any advice you'd care to pass on.

Windows on Washington

Re: Windows and Patio Doors with brown outside and white ins

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

swor21054 wrote:I'm currently getting estimates for replacing my bronze-color aluminum frame windows and patio doors with vinyl/double-pane/low-e/argon. Because the house is cedar, I need the replacements to have bronze or brown frames on the outside. Because it is no longer 1972, I'd like the inside frames to be white rather than brown. I need 9 patio doors (2 9-foot and 6 6-foot) and 16 slider windows (ranging from 83 ui to 153 ui.)

I've gotten estimates for Slocum windows, Thermal Industries (900 series?), and Vytex Heritage. The estimates have ranged from about $20K to $29K. I've got another guy coming later this week. I think his company handles Gorell and Softlite.

I've been told that getting the brown exterior with white interior is limiting my choices and raising the cost. Another factor in the cost is the large number of sliding glass doors I need.

Does anyone have opinions on which windows might be my better choices? Any experiences with how dark vinyl performs would also be welcome. We're probably going to be in the house for another 10 years.

Thanks for any advice you'd care to pass on.
I would not trust dark colored vinyl in a painted exterior in the long run.

swor21054

#3 Post by swor21054 »

Windows on Washington -
Could you please expand a little on your response? Should I not be looking at vinyl at all? If vinyl isn't going to hold up, what are my best options?

Thanks,
swor21054

swor21054

#4 Post by swor21054 »

Windows on Washington -
Could you please expand a little on your response? Should I not be looking at vinyl at all? If vinyl isn't going to hold up, what are my best options?

Thanks,
swor21054

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

swor21054 wrote:Windows on Washington -

Thanks,
swor21054
Vinyl is not the problem in this case. Painted (PVC Exterior bonded) vinyl is not yet proven in its ability to hold up and especially in dark color applications. The industry warranty on painted vinyl products is usually only 10 years and what is the point of that on a vinyl windows with an otherwise lifetime warranty.

Exterior laminates are the way to go if your color is available. In your case, antique bronze, is certainly available in several different vinyl window lines. Full lifetime warranty and a much more durable finish than painted finishes.

buddy110

#6 Post by buddy110 »

W on W is correct. Steer clear of painted extrusions. They scratch peel and fade severely. Try either Great Lakes, Gorrel or Sunrise. They have Brown/white combos in either a cap stock or true brown with white woodgrain interior.

swor21054

#7 Post by swor21054 »

Thanks to all for your suggestions and advice. Your answers were very helpful.

I've signed a contract for Softlite Imperial LS windows (double pane, low-e, argon), Super Spacers, antique bronze exterior foil laminate (perfect match!), with keyed-alike brass handles on all 8 sliding glass doors. Price includes all removal, installation, wrapping, and increasing the opening for one large window by 6". I'm also getting excellent product and installation warranties, and I haven't been able to find any complaints listed anywhere against the company I've signed with. The contract amount is for a little under $25K for the 8 sliding glass doors and 16 slider windows.

Most of the other quotes I got were higher than $25K. One quote, for Slocomb windows, was $20K.

Maybe I could have done better, but I'm pretty happy with this deal. The other windows/installers I looked at didn't give me anywhere near the feeling of quality product and work than I got from the company I signed with. (Of course, the work hasn't been done yet, so all this might just be wishful thinking.)

I'd like to express my appreciation for the discussion boards in general, as well. The many messages that said, "keep looking - - you'll find the right deal" to different people kept me researching windows and companies instead of settling for windows I wasn't that happy with at a price I wasn't happy with.

One other note: my husband and I agreed that I'd take care of all the window replacement shopping and arrangements - - he didn't want to be involved. There were at least 4 companies that wouldn't make an appointment to come out because I wouldn't commit to having my husband there. At this point, I'm thinking that the policy saved me some hard sell tactics, but when I was still looking for the right windows, it was very frustrating that these companies (some of whom carried windows I wanted to consider) didn't even want a chance at my business. Some of these companies are still contacting me to try to get me to set up an appointment (with my husband) so they can try to sell us their windows. I can't tell you how much fun it is to tell them that they blew their opportunity to get this $25K contract by adhering to that policy.

Yes, I'm easily amused.

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

Congrats and that sounds like a nice price on that window with the options that you have listed. Information in this arena is key and you ultimately got a great product and saved yourself some money.

BTW...the companies that wouldn't see you without your husband being there didn't miss out on 25K of business because they would have never gotten anywhere close to that price.

buddy110

#9 Post by buddy110 »

25k for the job you got is very cheap. You did well. 8 doors alone could run 24,000.