Window World 4000, Wincore 5500 or Champion

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
rocko1

Window World 4000, Wincore 5500 or Champion

#1 Post by rocko1 »

We are in the process of receiving quotes to replace our 20 year old vinyl Thermalguard windows which have all broken seals. Warranty is no good. Cost to just replace glass $2860... would do that but many of the windows do not open (only 2 open). We like to have ventilation as much as possible. Please give info on these quotes:

11 double hung windows ( no oversized) (east tennessee)
Window World 4000: $4200 Company seems to have good rep. and reviews; warranty seems to be as good as champion

Wincore 5500: $5700 Local company will install; great rep.; warranty seems good but not quite as good as champion or window world

Champion: instore estimate; $8,000. They are coming to do in-home estimate in a few days. I have heard they will sometimes drop price but not sure. Warranty seems very good.

***All 3 are contractors for local TVA electic company providing $500 rebate for doing in-home energy evalution. All windows qualify for $200 tax credit. Because of this extra money, we are looking to replace window instead of just glass! Please give advice on what is a better way to go!!

Profx

Re: Window World 4000, Wincore 5500 or Champion

#2 Post by Profx »

The Comfortwold 4000 is an Alside Excalibur, it's their entry level window and in 10 yrs. you could be right back in the position where you are now with your Thermalgards.

Champions windows are overpriced in my opinion...it's a premium price for a mid-grade window.

I'm not familiar with the other product...but I'd get a few more quotes, and definitely find out who will be doing the installation. A good product can be butchered by a "chuck in the truck". Liability insurance and workers comp. is a must. Ask the salesman if you can get a few references of recently completed jobs, and take the time to call them and see who the company used and what type of craftsmanship was done.

I think for around 600 a piece you could get as good or a better window than any of the ones listed. Take into consideration I've never seen your home, but since you have replacements in there currently...should be a pretty straightforward install.
Last edited by Profx on Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rocko1

#3 Post by rocko1 »

thanks for the info. What about Window World's 6000, is it any better quality? Wincore was started in 2007 by folks from Simonton (at least this is what I have found out). The only difference I can see about the windows is that the wincore 5500 is 3/4 glass and champion and WW are 7/8 glass. Wincore 7700 also makes a higher model with 7/8 glass.Does that make a big difference?

rocko1

#4 Post by rocko1 »

Can you recommend a certain window brand that would be better than the previous listed ones? I wil try to check out the 6000 a little more. It seems to be a much heavier frame and wider thus taking up some window space but we have large windows so probably not a problem.

scottymac

#5 Post by scottymac »

I would try Hansons, lifetime Guarantee not warranty, great crew came out and pricing was better than the other two extimates.

TheWindowNerd

#6 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I like the Soft-lite Imp LS or the OKNA 800DX.
Do not know which might be available in your market.

buddy110

#7 Post by buddy110 »

Softlight, Gorell and Sunrise are the top three vinyl windows

rocko1

#8 Post by rocko1 »

There is a softlite dealer in my area so I will be requesting a quote. After checking out Softlite's website, they have many different models... Imperial, pro & classic, Bainbridge, and Barrington. Is there any one of these that we should stay away from? Cost comparision on each (few dollars or quite a bit)? Do any of Softlite's models compare to ww 6000, wincore 7700, or Champion? Just a note, we are planning on staying in our home for many years, so we want to get the most bang for our buck!