ATLANTA WINDOW REPLACEMENT- Okna vs. Restorations

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
ceemee

ATLANTA WINDOW REPLACEMENT- Okna vs. Restorations

#1 Post by ceemee »

I want to start by thanking the experts in this forum for all the great work you do- and wealth of assistance you offer people like me who know nothing.

Short story- had a consult with Power Construction, signed a contract, and then realized, as much as I research everything before I do something/buy something, I knew nothing about windows. In searching the Power windows I came upon this forum, canceled my contact and started researching.
I searched good installers and then realized the good installers might not be installing the best windows, so I switched to searching the windows and then the installers who do the windows I wanted.
Months later, I am now ready to make a decision.
13 total- includes 9 DH, one small picture window, a sliding window and 3- 1/2 rounds

Davis Windows- Sunrise Restorations - w/cash discount $14,930 (they can do some single hung on the first floor since I can reach those to clean- $14,110)
Pinnacle Windows & Siding- Okna 800 or 600 - w/cash discount $12,080 / $11,864 (they don't have single hung; he states it's still a DH and they clip it to keep the top from moving- same price as DH)

No issues that I see with the companies, reviews are all very good, well established.

The prices quoted appear to be on par with what I have been seeing here. I liked the operation of the Sunrise better, seemed smoother and the AL difference between the 800, and the 600 or Sunrise isn't a dealbreaker for me. I like the slimmer lines of the 600 and liked the operation of the Sunrise window locks.

The rep for Davis pointed out that the Sunrise welded sash was a 360 degree weld- so it went from front to back to eliminate leaks and need for weep holes. Since I saw Okna first, I didn't know to look or inquire about this. Davis rep also promoted the 'glass edge deletion' which he states creates a tighter bond with the spacer. If the film covers the entire piece of glass, I'm unsure why this is a benefit or matters.

The Pinnacle/Okna rep - when I asked how they fill any gaps, insulation or spray foam- he stated that they use pieces of foam (gray foam that was around the spec window he showed me) and they take pieces of that and stuff it in the gaps... ? that didn't sound right to me but they are the only installer in GA for Okna, so I'm assuming that if they were installing them incorrectly to cause warranty issues, that Okna would drop them. I figured I would find out from you all about this before contacting the SE rep for Okna to see if that was proper installation practice vs. spray foam (like Davis uses).

We are only doing 13 right now due to cost, as we have over 40+ windows that we will need to get done in stages. I wanted to see if there was anything else I needed to consider prior to pulling the trigger between the 3; is any measurable difference in quality between Restorations and the 800 & 600 if I choose soley based on price?

Thank you so much!
Last edited by ceemee on Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Delaware Mike

Re: ATLANTA WINDOW REPLACEMENT- Okna vs. Restorations

#2 Post by Delaware Mike »

The welding process on either window is top notch so no worries there. I prefer a little more frame profile myself to ensure that the vinyl has enough frame strength to not require more fasteners and shimming to ensure that no bows or frowns have to be taken out by good installers. All three series are pretty low profile compared to other vinyl manufacturers. On super small windows, the Sunrise platform is a good choice. I like the locks on the Restorations and have been after OKNA to jump aboard with Duo-Tech's since homeowners love them. OKNA has their reasons why they don't care for them.

Glass wise, the Duralite non-metal spacer that OKNA utilizes will give a tiny edge in thermal performance but Cardinal glass (Sunrise) is simply the Kingpin in the glass industry and is regarded as top of the food chain. The foam that you're referring to is simply an open cell ether foam wrapping that comes on most of the vinyl windows if opted from the dealer. Good installers will still add low-expansion spray foam to gaps typically if there is room to get the pro gun nozzle or reducer tip in any void. The sill and the head area are typically the areas we want spray foam over ether foam insulation wrapping tape.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

I'd never recommend choosing solely based on price. You are always going to have some differences in either the product or the installing company that could either counter the benefit of the lower price, or reinforce it as the best option.

Overall thoughts on your situation:

- Well done on your process, you appear to have two nice options here.

- On product: Again, you really can't go wrong here. That said, given DH/SH configuration, I'd say that the Okna options are decisively better. This would be a crap-shoot if casements, but the Okna double hung is a more stoutly built unit with an advantage in every measurable area.
Cardinal glass is fantastic, but Okna has an extraordinarily low seal failure rate as well, and superior thermal ratings to boot. I don't like the lack of meeting rail interlock on the Sunrise and they require greater detail by the installer for long term performance IMO.

- On installation: This is where there is some significant weight to be applied IMO. Okna seems like the winner based on product and price, however the foam thing is a red flag and I'd make sure that you fully vet both options for better or worse. On the foam thing specifically, that could just be a goofy sales guy not really knowing the technical aspects of the install, as its very rare that someone selling (and paying for) a premium product would be such a hack that they wouldn't add additional insulation above and beyond the frame wrap foam material. Also, check company history (time in business), reviews (from multiple sources), BBB, etc, etc.
I as alluded to initially, if one company or the other stands out as superior, it could easily outweigh the difference in product and price as they aren't a clear cut slam dunk.

ceemee

#4 Post by ceemee »

Thank you both so much! I'll do a deeper dive into the companies and verify the Okna foam issue.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

I did a brief search and both companies look to have a very good reputation, although Pinnacle's is outstanding with 0 BBB complaints and nearly perfect ratings everywhere you check. I think that Davis looks like a great company with a great product that probably wins most comparisons, but unless you find something that I've missed, you won't find many companies that can match what I see for Pinnacle. I have zero personal knowledge of either of these companies, but its hard to have that type of reputation without doing great work.

ceemee

#6 Post by ceemee »

Thank you Homesealed- I was leaning toward Pinnacle- thank you for your additional help in confirming!

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

Can't add much. I would only say that if you handle the 800 and the restorations...you can feel the difference is sturdiness in the 800 series. Ask an installer which one they like hanging...they will pick the Okna 10 out of 10 times.