Need advice for Wood Laminate Replacements

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
jwelsey1703

Need advice for Wood Laminate Replacements

#1 Post by jwelsey1703 »

We are looking to replace the original single pane, double-hung windows in our house and while I was originally thinking of doing sash replacements since our frames are in good condition, now I have been looking at doing full vinyl replacements given that some of our storm windows are not in the best of shape and I would've just been wanting to leave them instead of having to replace with new screen frames.

So far, we have had contractors out to our house in Southern PA giving us quotes on:

- Vytex Potomac-hp
- Simonton Reflections 5500
- Provia Endure
- Alside 8000

The reason why we've looked at these particular windows is that they all have a wood laminate available and are rated for our climate. I'm not comparing on cost (all have come in relatively close to each other) here because we want the window that is going to look best in our home and be the most efficient. We have a lot of golden oak stained wood throughout our home, so a white or tan vinyl isn't going to look right. I also know that no window, be it vinyl with wood laminate or real wood, is going to be an exact match (unless we get unfinished wood and stain it as close as possible), and each of these manufacturers have a laminate that is close enough in color that we would be OK with (we've matched actual samples to our existing wood to make sure).

What I really want to avoid with a pocket replacement leaving us with is an extra-thick frame and sash width that cuts down on the size of the glass. With the sample window we saw with the Simonton, that one really made me think that we would be giving up a lot of glass space to the vinyl. The Potomac seemed better, but I am still waiting to meet back with the contractors on the Provia and Alside to see their sample window. The back of our house has a great view of the mountains and that is something I don't want to have blocked. I know that our storm windows have somewhat of the same effect for lost glass space, but losing another inch all the way around the window is something we want to avoid.

Any experience or feedback that anyone could provide us with, especially if there is a solid recommendation for which window would give us the best functionality with giving up the least amount of glass would be appreciated.

Windows on Washington

Re: Need advice for Wood Laminate Replacements

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Simonton is a big bulky frame. Whether you do that as an insert of a full tear out will NOT make it less bulky.

I can put in a thinner profile window as an insert and have the same glass size as a Simonton done as a full tear out.

So I wouldn't throw out the baby with the bathwater as it pertains to installation type because you have looked at the wrong product. Where in Southern PA abouts are you located. Several good contractors from this forum cover the state of PA.

You have storm windows on your current windows?

jwelsey1703

#3 Post by jwelsey1703 »

So we are located just north of Hanover, PA. We do have storm windows over all of the windows, but I can't say if they are original to the house.

Ricknez

#4 Post by Ricknez »

The vytex potomac would be my first choice followed by the alside 8000. Although I am not a fan of alside at all, the 8000 is a pretty decent window. Which company is offering the 8000?

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

Agreed. Vytex is the only one that is worth consideration on that list if you as me.

And if you are worried about frame impact, there are narrower framed windows still.

FYI...the felt impact of glass loss will be minimal with an insert. The reality is that the viewable area will feel much larger because the storm window goes away. This is something that most folks miss.

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

jwelsey1703 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 7:23 am So we are located just north of Hanover, PA. We do have storm windows over all of the windows, but I can't say if they are original to the house.
Probably closer to me, not to self promote, than anyone else on the forum at this point. Happy to chat. Feel free to email me and we can set up a call.

Enovotny@windowsonwashington.net

Delaware Mike

#7 Post by Delaware Mike »

That Vytex series is very nice. The Alside unit is very bulky. OKNA 600 or 800 should be in the mix.

jwelsey1703

#8 Post by jwelsey1703 »

I had not reached out about Okna -- but willing to see if there is an installer in our area.

I've decided that the Simonton is out given the frame/sash width. I met with the contractor earlier today with the Alside, and it was a nice window, but again really thick frame/sash. I still would like to see the ProVia, and if that isn't with the other person who was out, it seems there are several other folks around us who offer it.

@WoW - Are there other manufacturers with narrow frames/sashes that are rated well for this area that you would recommend? I'd like to do a little more research before setting up a call.

Windows on Washington

#9 Post by Windows on Washington »

Honestly...Okna.

Okna will one of those 3 or so windows with the narrowest frame of the brands that are recommended. Sunrise used to be one but being bought my MI is a big red flag. One of the other Vytex windows is also very narrow profile too. Just not the Potomac.

randy

#10 Post by randy »

If you haven't reached out to WoW through the email he provided, I'd highly recommend that you do. You won't find anyone more knowledgeable of products and installation methods.