New windows in NC

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
HomeSealed

Re: New windows in NC

#16 Post by HomeSealed »

+1, you made the right choice based on these options. Well done.

Samson

#17 Post by Samson »

Thanks.

So the install is underway. I know nothing about how this should look other than they are going to do the aluminum wrap in a couple of days. Out of curiosity, does this look correct? There's a gap around the entire window (looks like open cell foam wrap around the frame) and a small line of spray foam on the bottom. They are surely a lot quieter than the old double pane windows, and the difference in the amount of heat coming through is drastic.
Attachments
Window.jpg
(182.09 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Windows on Washington

#18 Post by Windows on Washington »

Look like they are sealing the gaps between the old sill and side trim/framing with protector flashing tape. Unnecessary with properly installed capping, but it's an added layer of protection so it demonstrates that they are kind of going the extra mile.

Samson

#19 Post by Samson »

Thanks - good to know. And thanks again for the assistance earlier. These seem like a solid upgrade over the old windows.

Samson

#20 Post by Samson »

One more question: the slider (horizontal) windows over the tub were installed today. Previously, the windows were fixed, and the sliders seem quite loud in comparison. I assume a little more noise is to be expected, so maybe that's normal, but what about side-to-side play? With the latches closed/two sides locked together, there's about 1/4"-3/8" of play, meaning I can move the window section left to right inside of the frame. Is this normal as well? Thanks.

Windows on Washington

#21 Post by Windows on Washington »

Operable windows will leak a bit more noise as noise is carried on air. The play from side to side is normal and intentional. Still captured in the weatherstripping pocket so its find.

Samson

#22 Post by Samson »

Thanks. We have regular double hung windows in the same location on the floor below, and those windows are dramatically quieter than the sliders. Cicadas, A/C noise, etc. It almost sounds like one is open, but as far as I can tell, they're functioning correctly and latched properly. I'll see what the window guys say, I suppose. For what these things cost (they are also tempered glass), I'm not sure this is ideal. On the flip side, I don't want to spend another not insignificant sum of money to replace them with fixed windows, and openable windows are nice. Are there any tricks to making them quieter?

Windows on Washington

#23 Post by Windows on Washington »

Have them check them out. Sliders can be a bit more finicky, but on the average, will not be as "tight" as double hungs.

Samson

#24 Post by Samson »

Thanks. Seems most of the noise is coming from the middle seal where the two windows meet. They acknowledged it's loud and are looking into it.

Samson

#25 Post by Samson »

While he couldn't find the info from Vytex, the installer showed me the air infiltration numbers from a similar window line that they carry. The sliding window had roughly 5x the air infiltration rating compared to a double hung (.11 vs .02, if I recall correctly, but I could be wrong). Are there any recommendations for increasing the sealing in the middle? I'm fairly certain that is the main culprit. I held a rolled up bath towel against the seam, which noticeably reduced cicadas and a/c noise. There's enough area on the outer frame to put low profile brush seal similar to what's already there (circled area)... or will that not do anything? I'd not care this much, but these things are kind of large and right over the tub. Makes for a lot of noise.

Also, should the existing seal be compressed? As it is, it doesn't appear to touch the other window and 'seal'.

Thanks.
Attachments
slider_02.jpg
(135.22 KiB) Not downloaded yet
slider_01.jpg
(214.41 KiB) Not downloaded yet

HomeSealed

#26 Post by HomeSealed »

Good feedback from WoW.

Regarding the meeting rail on the sliders, you should have an interlock where a vinyl lip from one sash locks into a corresponding lip on the other. There would be multiple layers of weatherstripping as well, not just that one that you can see.

I'd open both sashes slightly and make sure that the reveal from sash to frame is consistent top to bottom, if that is off it won't seal as well.

All that said, as you've alluded to, sliders are generally the "leakiest" operator when it comes to air, and that is how sound will travel. Hopefully there is some adjustment that they can make to improve this for you, but also know that it's not realistic to think that it will be as quiet as a fixed unit or even a DH.

Samson

#27 Post by Samson »

Thanks. I'll take a look and see if everything looks right. Maybe I've overthinking this and I should just leave it alone. Heh.

cindrela80

#28 Post by cindrela80 »

From what I've read, the 5050 probably isn't ideal. What about the other two? In addition to the previously mentioned improvements, I'd like to keep decent glass area vs. the original frames as well. Are there other windows that are in the same ballpark (or less) that are better? Is it typically the case that a given installer can get any window, or are they generally locked into a certain brand(s)? This is in the Raleigh,
pikashow download
Last edited by cindrela80 on Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Windows on Washington

#29 Post by Windows on Washington »

5050 is kind of a throwaway window if you ask me.