Provia Endure Balance Systems

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
akronog

Provia Endure Balance Systems

#1 Post by akronog »

I am going to be putting in 9 replacement windows and have settled on the Provia Endure line. They are all double hung with the TLA-UV glass package.

One supplier has told me that the compound tension balance system is the best option.

The other supplier told me that for windows larger than 36” provia recommends the constant force balances. This was after submitting final measurements and getting an updated quote. Their initial quote had windows larger than 36” with the compound tension balances so this has caused some confusion.

I have searched quite a bit and cannot find answers to lead me to one over the other. Looking for some solid direction. I care completely about the ease of operation, lifespan/low maintenace, and having the best option. The cost difference is negligible and not important to me. Thanks in advance.

Original quote supplier 2 pre final measure
- Endure Window - EN600 Series
- 601 - Double Hung
- White
- Exact Size: 37 1/8" x 39 1/8"
- Compound Tension Balance System
- Snap-In Frame Sash Stops
- Double Profile DA Locks
- White Hardware
- INNERGY Thermal Sash Reinforcement
- Extruded Full Screen (White) with BetterVue Screen Mesh
- No Screen Mullion
- Graphite Foam Insulation
- Sill Extender
- ComforTech TLA
- Single Strength Glass
- 1" IG Thickness

Supplier 2 quote post final measure
- Endure Window - EN600 Series
- 601 - Double Hung
- White
- Exact Size: 37 3/8" x 39"
- Constant Force Roller Tilt Balance System
- Snap-In Frame Sash Stops
- Double Profile DA Locks
- White Hardware
- INNERGY Thermal Sash Reinforcement
- Extruded Full Screen (White) with SeeVue Mesh
- With Screen Mullion
- Graphite Foam Insulation
- Sill Extender
- ComforTech TLA-UV
- Single Strength Glass
- 1" IG Thickness

Windows on Washington

Re: Provia Endure Balance Systems

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

I don't think I have ever seen a question solely on the balance system between two identical windows. This is a first.

Not sure there is a "right" answer here. Both should be covered by warranty.

The block and tackle system is more tolerant of dirt and more incrementally adjustable. Both are good.

Delaware Mike

#3 Post by Delaware Mike »

Why are you still opting for the "UV" with triple-glazing? That's going to be a super dark glass package and the regular TLA does a good job with a SHGC being around .20ish.

I prefer a compound tension/block and tackle, however I'll let the programmers at the factory choose the best balance for oversized windows for potential problems. Constant force balances can be a pain to replace down the road if they fail on certain extrusion platforms like Soft-Lite. I wouldn't worry about some of the windows being different regarding the balances, you won't be able to see or tell the difference.

akronog

#4 Post by akronog »

I have all hardwood floors so I prefer the UV in addition to just wanting to have the most efficient window possible, the extra cost isnt that much at all so I felt it was worth it and am ok with the light loss. I tend to be the pita customer that wants to know every available option/difference.

I ended up ordering them all with the constant force balances. 7 of the 9 ended up being over 36” anyways so Provia recommended those anyways. I did call Provia to verify what the one supplier said. It was just odd that the supplier didnt bring it up until the 3rd time updating the quote so I wasnt sure.

Appreciate the help though!

Delaware Mike

#5 Post by Delaware Mike »

Gotcha on the UV. My Endure sample has double-glazed DLA-UV grids in the top sash and no grids and triple TLA-UV. My homeowner today was like "that bottom sash is way too dark." You're basically getting two lites of glass with low-e3 verses low-e2 from my understanding.

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

akronog wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:06 pm I am going to be putting in 9 replacement windows and have settled on the Provia Endure line. They are all double hung with the TLA-UV glass package.

I'm sorry to hear that.

With that said, you could have found worse.

To answer your question about the glass, we need to know where you are located. The lowest u value the combined with lowest shgc is not the best option for some climates.

Regarding the balance system, both are fairly well proven, however Provia's own literature recommends the Compound Tension system for large units. I agree with the earlier sentiment shared, in that ultimately the factory recommendation is best. Personally I prefer block and tackle overall for strength, longevity, and ease of service, but when properly applied, both get the job done.... If there is anything to worry about here it would be the dealer offering a bad recommendation, but then again, the window product offering speaks for itself.